Monday, September 22, 2008

Leaving the States

Hello everyone, and welcome to my blog! I still think the word "blog" is more a description of a vulgar noise, but I also figure it is the best way to keep in touch with everyone while I am abroad. After I get these first few posts out of the way, I plan to add a new blog each week (hopefully on Sunday, but that might change after my classes get started.)




I left Laramie on Saturday September 13th after a busy but wonderful last few days. Friday evening, I hosted a party to get rid of my food and had a surprising number of people show to help me eat it. Not sure if I have a lot of friends or know a bunch of poor, starving students. This was our lovely centerpiece, leftovers from the salmon I brought back from Alaska.






I had also wanted to go on one last mountain hike up Medicine Bow Peak, and after being delayed for most of the week realized it was Thursday or bust. Of course, I awoke Thursday to freezing rain. Being stubborn, I picked up Spyder the Blackdog and drove up to Libby Creek trail, shrouded in cloud. In the end, I got rain, hail, sleet, snow, and sunshine. It was the perfect Wyoming departure -- you never know what to expect there.



And that left me with my parting sentiments. I must approach this next journey prepared for anything but with no expectations -- hopes, plans, and aspirations, yes, but no expectations. Those can break your heart. So it's off to the wild blue yonder! I'll see you on the other side.

-Aly

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oxford,
you are so lucky girl. I hope it is everything youu hope it to be